Davao Oriental now ‘insurgency-free’

RUTH PALO

2022-09-23T07:00:00.0000000Z

2022-09-23T07:00:00.0000000Z

The Manila Times

https://manilatimes.pressreader.com/article/281668258840170

Regions

DAVAO CITY: The provincial government of Davao Oriental declared the province as “insurgency-free” in a recent meeting of the Provincial Peace and Order Council in Mati City. The council unanimously approved a resolution stating that the province as such, citing the dismantling of the three remaining guerrilla fronts of the communist New People’s Army (NPA). A report from the Philippine Army’s 10th Infantry Division (10ID) said government forces were able to destroy Guerilla Front South on April 18, 2021; Guerilla Front North on June 20, 2021; and Guerilla Front 18 on Sept. 15, 2022. These units, according to Capt. Mark Anthony Tito, spokesman for 10ID, were all previously operating in Davao Oriental. He said 108 NPA rebels and 109 firearms were neutralized and captured by the security sector from the 3rd quarter of 2019 to date. Tito added that a successful counter-insurgency campaign was attributed to the convergence of government agencies in implementing various peace and development programs. Gov. Corazon Malanyaon said it was high time to declare the province as insurgency-free, especially now that Davao Oriental is aggressively promoting tourism. “We have what it takes to be a premier tourist destination, and Davao Oriental is worth visiting. But we also have to consider that the tourism industry is too sensitive to peace and order,” she pointed out. Maj. Gen. Nolasco Mempin, 10ID commander, expressed his appreciation for the support of the province and the aggressive actions made by his men in defeating the insurgency in the province. Mempin said Davao Region itself is now also free from insurgency. He urged the people to continue their efforts for further attainment of sustainable development in the whole region.

en-ph